Saturday, August 3, 2013

5-K-ersplat

Well, i had a 5K today. I felt pretty good heading into it, did a light workout thursday, took off friday ( not even yoga ) and went to the race feeling pretty good.

Right at the start i had to zigzag around a bunch of people but in maybe 30-40 seconds i was clear of the kids and slower folk who had lined up at the start.  The first mile my legs felt really stiff.  Not sure what the issue was, but maybe i should have warmed up.  But i still think i made the first mile in decent time, having run away from most of the pack.  What that time was, i have no idea, because i failed to start my run tracker so i was getting no splits. The trail began to get hilly, and i began to feel a stitch in my side--crap! At bout 1.5 miles, a fairly fast guy passed me, too fast for me to latch on to. Then at 2, a woman passed me, and i decided to try to stick with her.  I managed to stay close until the last 1/3 mile or so, where she got away.  I had to slow up a few times to work out the stitch in my side.

I rounded the corner, and saw the clock read 22:55.  I sprinted for the line, but couldn't come in under 23.  I think my time ended up being 23:05.  I was pretty bummed, because i'd run a 22:45 in practice earlier in the week, and had actually expected to do better than that.

I'm not entirely sure where i want to go with my training.  I have plans for a trail 5.5 mile race, but that's not a big deal, and stair race season is coming up, which is.  Part of me thinks that if i could cut serious time off my 5k, it'd be a great cardio workout i could roll out of bed and do 3-4 mornings a week, and i could continue to do my stairs & yoga in the evening. It'd also be a great thing to do on vacation.  Lots of hotels don't have gyms, few have stairclimbers, but all are on some sort of road.

No comments:

Post a Comment